How To Get There
Câmpulung Moldovenesc is accessible by both car and train. The European route E58, that links the region of Moldavia with Transylvania, crosses the city. There are two railway stations located in the city: Câmpulung Moldovenesc in the city center and Câmpulung Est in Capu Satului neighborhood
The first written mention of the village of Câmpulung Moldovenesc dates back to April 14, 1411. At that time the ruling prince of Moldavia was Alexandru cel Bun. Dimitrie Cantemir, in his well-known work Descriptio Moldaviae, mentions Ocolul Câmpulung, an autonomous region in northern Moldavia that has its own rules and leaders. This region consisted of 15 villages. Together with the rest of Bukovina, Câmpulung Moldovenesc was under the rule of the Habsburg Monarchy (later Austria-Hungary) from 1775 to 1918. Câmpulung was in the Austrian part of the empire after the compromise of 1867, head of the district with the same name, one of the 9 Bezirkshauptmannschaften in Bukovina province. Other main district cities were Dorna Watra (Vatra Dornei) and Wama (Vama) in 1900. Later, between 1925–1950, Câmpulung Moldovenesc was the capital of the former Câmpulung County, the most extensive county in Bukovina. The spa and ski resort Vatra Dornei was the second most important town in Câmpulung County.